Study 10 OUR HEAVENLY HOME
DAYS OF HEAVEN UPON EARTH
by Francis Dixon
(Scripture Portion: John 14:1-15)
This concluding study will appeal to every child of God. While we are down here upon the earth we may experience heavenly joy and peace in our hearts, as our Saviour walks and talks with us (Hebrews 13:5-6); but we are not destined to live down here for ever. We are bound for our heavenly Home! The Bible does not tell us too much about Heaven, but just enough to thrill our hearts as we think of the bliss and glory shared by all whose Home it is.
Shortly before our Lord Jesus went to the cross of Calvary to die for us He gave to His first disciples (and to us) a very wonderful promise - John 14:2-3. It is upon this promise that we base our confidence that Heaven is our Home.
There are three significant reasons why every Christian should be helped and encouraged by a meditation upon the subject of Heaven:
- First: because we are most surely going to Heaven! Every truly born again (John 3:3), blood-washed (1 John 1:7) believer is bound for the Heavenly City. Our names are already written there (Luke 10:20), and many of God’s children are already living there (Ephesians 3:15). Is it not natural, therefore, that we should want to know something about the country to which we are travelling and in which we are to live with our Lord and all the company of the redeemed?
- Second: because we all have loved ones in Heaven. The very mention of Heaven reminds us of some who are there now. Who are they? God the Father, the Lord Jesus, the angels, the saints of all the ages are all there - including loved ones who died ”in Christ”! How natural it is for us to be interested in Heaven if our parents, children, loved ones and friends are there!
- Third: because this is our Lord’s prescribed cure for a troubled heart. See how this chapter begins - John 14:1! Our hearts are often troubled, perplexed or burdened, and surely it helps us to think of Heaven and Home! We would be happier, healthier Christians if we spent more time viewing ‘the land that is brighter than day!’
In John 14:2-3 our Lord tells us three simple facts about Heaven:
1. HEAVEN IS A PLACE
Heaven has locality, it has situation - just as London and New York have - and just as Hell has location - Revelation 1:18. The Lord Jesus said, ”I am going there to prepare a place for you …”, and that place He described as His ’Father’s house’ in which are ’many rooms’, or abiding places. Yes, Heaven is real! Where is Heaven? Look up Acts 1:9-11, and compare Acts 7:55. What kind of place is it?
- It is a place of eternal joy and blessedness. This fact is not only emphasised in the Bible by the description we are given of the glories and beauties of Heaven, but by what will be missing in Heaven! In Heaven there is no sin (Revelation 21:27), no sorrow or death (Revelation 21:4), no mourning and no night (Revelation 21:25); no separation (Revelation 21:1); no tears (Revelation 7:17); no war (Psalm 46:9), nothing to mar or spoil, and no more curse (Revelation 22:3).
- It is a place of holy companionships. Above all, to be in Heaven means to be with the Lord Jesus. He is with us now (Matthew 28:20) - but then we shall be with Him (2 Corinthians 5:8)! Heaven would not be Heaven without His presence!
- It is a place of glad reunion with loved ones. This is the Christian’s sure confidence, that when we say goodbye to our brothers and sisters in Christ down here we shall meet them again up there! - and we shall not only meet them, but we shall recognise them - look up 1 Corinthians 13:12!
- It is a place of joyful service. Look up Revelation 22:3!
2. HEAVEN IS A PREPARED PLACE
Nearly 2000 years ago the Saviour said, “I am going there to prepare a place for you.” What a glorious place it must be - compare 1 Corinthians 2:9! In our Lord’s simple statement we have a wonderful revelation of His great love for us. He is preparing for us - who are so unworthy! He wants us to be for ever with Him (John 17:24), and He has gone on to prepare the Home where we shall live with Him for ever (1 Thessalonians 4:17).
Many years ago God led Noah to prepare an ark for the saving of his house (Hebrews 11:7); God prepared a great fish for the saving of His disobedient servant Jonah (Jonah 1:17); the prophet Zephaniah tells us about a prepared sacrifice (Zephaniah 1:7); and (how solemn!) another place is also prepared - look up Matthew 25:41. Heaven is prepared for every true believer; Hell is prepared for every unsaved soul.
3. HEAVEN IS A PREPARED PLACE FOR A PREPARED PEOPLE
The Lord Jesus said, “I am going there to prepare a place for YOU” - that is, for all who believe on Him as their Saviour and Lord, and who come to the Father by Him (John 14:1-3,6).
How foolish it is to say, ’Everybody will go to Heaven!’ Heaven would be Hell to some people; they would be out of their environment - like a fish out of water! Heaven is the Home of Heaven’s people. Are you one of Heaven’s people? If not, you may become one by trusting the Lord Jesus as your own personal Saviour (John 14:6); and if so, may you enjoy ’days of Heaven upon earth’ as you travel to your heavenly Home!