Study 2 EVERY CHRISTIAN A SOUL-WINNER
WINNING THE LOST TO THE SAVIOUR
by Francis Dixon
Every Christian should be an instrument in the hands of God for winning precious souls to a saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. As we stated in our first study, soul-winning ought to be the main business of every Christian. We will emphasise this by asking and answering the following:
- What is meant by winning a soul? We mean the bringing of a lost (Luke 19:10), dead (Ephesians 2:1) soul into saving contact and vital union with the Lord Jesus, to know Him as personal Saviour and Lord. To win a soul is to ’catch’ that soul for the Lord (Luke 5:10); to see him added to the Lord (Acts 5:14), not merely to the local church, but by the regeneration of the Holy Spirit to the church which is His body (Colossians 1:18). Every soul won is won by the Lord Himself, but He uses and is dependent upon His children for the accomplishment of His purposes. Only the Lord can do the work of saving (Ephesians 2:8); rescuing (Colossians 1:13); and cleansing (1 John 1:7); yet He depends upon our co-operation that He may be introduced to needy souls (John 1:41), and that they may be brought to Him (John 1:42).
- In what sense is every Christian to be a soul-winner? He (or she) should be utterly and constantly at the disposal of the Lord that he may be used by the Holy Spirit to bring the lost one into touch with the Lord Jesus Christ; he should be a soul-winner by caring for the souls of others (Psalm 142:4), and by reflecting the grace and the love of the Lord Jesus to others (Acts 4:13).
In the winning of a soul we may be the first link, the last or a link somewhere in between! This leaves us all without excuse, for we can all be a link in the chain. Also, this means we need not and should not be discouraged if we see few results from our efforts, so long as we are at the disposal of the Lord and are faithfully doing His will (John 1:41).
Now let us consider seven reasons why every Christian should be a soul-winner.
1. THE LORD JESUS HAS COMMANDED US TO BE SOUL-WINNERS
In Matthew 28:18-19 and Mark 16:15, we have our marching orders. This command was given to the first disciples - but it is given to us also to preach the gospel to every person in our world, wherever that may be. Look up Luke 2:49; 4:18-19; John 17:18-21 - and God’s commands are His enablings.
2. THE PROMISES OF GOD ENCOURAGE US TO BE SOUL-WINNERS
Study the following references prayerfully, for they refer to every Christian: Job 22:29; Psalms 50:23; 126:6; Ecclesiastes 11:1 and 6; Mark 1:17-18; Luke 5:10. Surely these promises from God Himself should encourage us to seek to win the lost to Him?
3. THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT ENABLES US TO BE SOUL-WINNERS
In Luke 24:49 and Acts 1:8, we have the Saviour’s wonderful promises concerning His enabling for every Christian, ensuring success in soul-winning work. Are we too timid to speak for our Master, to engage a soul in conversation concerning eternal things? Well, Acts 1:8 is the answer! Thank God, the gracious Holy Spirit dwells within us to give wisdom, courage and all that is needed for the successful winning of souls.
4. THE ORDINATION OF THE PIERCED HAND APPOINTS US AS SOUL-WINNERS
What a wonderful verse John 15:16 is! We have been chosen from eternity (Ephesians 1:4), by the Lord of Glory, and set aside to the vocation of winning the lost (Ephesians 2:10). Are we fulfilling that high purpose for which the Lord has saved us? He has ordained that we should ’Go and bring forth fruit…’ - that is, produce results!
5. THE DESPERATE NEED OF THE LOST CHALLENGES US TO BE SOUL-WINNERS
How great their need is! Look up the following with this thought in mind; Luke 15:4,8,17,24; John 3:18,36; Ephesians 2:12; 4:18. How many there are around us who have to say with the psalmist of old - Psalm 142:4! Our loved ones and friends who are not Christians are facing a Christless eternity!
6. THE OPPORTUNITIES ALL AROUND US PRESS US TO BE SOUL-WINNERS
All through the day the Lord is saying to us - Revelation 3:8. By prayer, a friendly word, handing on a tract, and in a score of different ways we are constantly presented with opportunities of witnessing. If we are ready and eager to be used in this way the opportunities simply press in upon us!
7. THE SACRIFICE OF CALVARY CONSTRAINS US TO BE SOUL-WINNERS
Let 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 and 20 burn into your heart! He has given His all for me… how can I give less than my all for Him? Should it not be my constant aim to make His heart glad by seeking and bringing to Him His wandering ones? Surely Ezekiel 33:7-8 should constrain me to win the lost; and so should Daniel 12:3 - but most of all my desire should be that - Isaiah 53:11!