Study 5 HOW TO LEAD A SOUL TO CHRIST
WINNING THE LOST TO THE SAVIOUR
by Francis Dixon
We cannot overstate the great need that exists today for Christians to be trained in leading others to a personal knowledge and experience of our Lord Jesus Christ. Every Christian should not only have the absolute assurance of his own salvation, but should know how to lead others into such assurance. There is no greater task than this. It is great from the sinner’s point of view - look up James 5:20; and it is great from the servant’s point of view - look up Daniel 12:3, and meditate upon the wonder of this promise.
1. THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS FOR TAKING THIS STUDY
- If soul-winning is the greatest work in the world, and if we are all entrusted with it, then we should all know how to do it (Acts 8:29-39; 16:30-31 etc.). Will you ask the Lord to give you the desire and the will to be fully prepared, so that you can do what Andrew did (John 1:41-42); what Philip did (Acts 8:34-37); and what Paul and Silas did (Acts 16:30-31)?
- Many Christians do not know how to lead a soul to Christ. Do you? Could you take your Bible and point a sinner to the Saviour, unfolding to him God’s way of salvation and pointing to the necessary scripture references? If you have to answer ‘No’, then determine that with God’s help you will learn how to be ready to lead a soul to Christ.
- If we know how to do this work we shall not be happy unless we are doing it. Knowing how to lead a soul to Christ will impress us with the need for doing so, and it will burden us with the desire to do so. Yes, and like the fisherman who has tasted the thrill of catching one fish, we shall long to catch another!
- When revival comes, a vast number of dedicated workers will be needed who can do this work. What a busy time the Christians had on the Day of Pentecost! When revival comes, personal workers are at once needed to ’go into action’, workers who are trained and ready to point a seeking soul to the Saviour. Will you be one?
2. THERE ARE THREE REQUIREMENTS BEFORE ANYONE CAN SUCCESSFULLY LEAD A SOUL TO CHRIST
- A fully yielded, cleansed and Spirit-filled life. Look up Romans 6:13; Psalm 51:2,7,10,13; Isaiah 52:11; 2 Timothy 2:19-21; Acts 1:8; Ephesians 5:18. It is the believer who is fully at the disposal of the Lord, and empowered by the Lord, whom the Lord uses.
- A complete reliance upon the Holy Spirit. Only as we are experiencing His constraining and restraining direction in our lives shall we be used as soul-winners. We cannot do this work, for we lack wisdom (James 1:5); tact (Proverbs 11:30) - we lack everything (John 15:5). Look up Zechariah 4:6; Acts 4:8,31,33.
- A working knowledge of the scriptures. Always point someone to the Word of God and show what God says. To do this, we must know our Bibles and where to find the references.
3. HOW TO LEAD A SOUL TO CHRIST
Every case is different, so we would suggest a comprehensive outline of the general procedure. All the scripture verses given below should be learned by heart, with their references. So, from the Word of God:
- Show the NEED of salvation. Show that by nature we are all sinners (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Isaiah 53:6; Romans 3:23); that our sin has brought death (Romans 5:12; 6:23; Ephesians 2:1 - separation from God); and condemnation (John 3:18) – and that this is why we need a Saviour. We must begin here, for no one wants to come to Christ until there is first of all a sense of need.
- Show that WE CANNOT SAVE OURSELVES. If we are to be saved, someone outside ourselves must do it for us! Emphasise this truth as it is contained in the following verses - Romans 3:20; Ephesians 2:8-10; Titus 3:5; and compare Jonah 2:9.
- Show that the Lord Jesus died upon the cross TO PUT AWAY SIN, and that He lives TO SAVE COMPLETELY all who come to God by Him. This truth is made abundantly clear in such verses as Isaiah 53:5-6; John 1:29; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24; Hebrews 7:25. We need to show the enquirer that the Lord Jesus is able and willing to forgive (Mark 2:10; Acts 13:38-39); cleanse (1 John 1:7-9); impart eternal life (John 5:40; 10:10; 1 John 5:10-12).
- Show that the way to be saved is to BELIEVE IN (i.e. to RECEIVE) the Lord Jesus Christ. Learn John 3:36; 5:24; Acts 16:30-31 - and John 1:12, which shows us that to believe is to receive; and be sure to become familiar with Romans 1:16; 10:9-10.
- Show that the assurance of salvation does not depend upon FEELINGS but upon WHAT GOD SAYS. If I come to Jesus, He will receive me because He says so (John 6:37); if I ask God to save me, He will do it because He promises to (Romans 10:13); if I ask the Lord Jesus to come into my heart He will do so because He says He will (Revelation 3:20).
- Show that OPEN CONFESSION should follow believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. Matthew 10:32-33 and Romans 10:9-10 are the two key references which emphasise the importance of this.
- Show that the same Saviour who SAVES also KEEPS (1 Corinthians 10:13; Philippians 1:6; Jude 24).
Set to work now; underline all the above references in your Bible; make sure you understand them; learn them, and be ready to find them at a moment’s notice!
“Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15).